Proposal to Set Up Snapshot for Shutter DAO 0x36

Status Proposed
Author 5pence.eth
Created 19 January 2024

Summary

Set up a Snapshot space for Shutter DAO 0x36 using ShutterDAO0x36.eth

Proposal

Snapshot is a free, open-source, off-chain, gasless voting platform that allows DAOs to vote easily - yielding results that are easy to verify and hard to contest. Shutter DAO 0x36 will use Fractal and Snapshot for different types of votes:

• Fractal: onchain actions (transactions executed immediately)
  • Snapshot: offchain actions (temperature checks, transactions executed later)

Key features include:

• Free Usage: create spaces, proposals and take part in organization’s governance without any gas fees
  • Signed Messages: Votes are cast through signed messages easily verifiable online
  • Multiple Voting Systems: Single choice, Approval voting, Quadratic voting, and more
  • Flexible Voting Strategies: Customize how the voting power is calculated through single or combined strategies that enable voting with ERC20s, NFTs, other contracts, and more
  • Proposal and Voting Validation: Utilize Gitcoin Passport, POAPs or other solutions to validate who can create a proposal or cast a vote
  • Custom Branding: Spaces can use their own branding, color schemes and domain name
  • Fully open-source with MIT license - our code can be viewed on Github at Snapshot Labs · GitHub

Snapshot Space Parameters

About: This is a Snapshot space for Shutter DAO 0x36. Shutter is a protocol to promote base layer neutrality using threshold encryption technology and a decentralized Keyper set. Shutter has 2 primary applications:

1. Rolling Shutter prevents malicious MEV and censorship on L1s and Ethereum L2s.
  2. Shielded Voting increases the fairness & integrity of votes on Snapshot.

This Snapshot space should be focused on off-chain actions and temp checks. Website: https://shutter.network/

Strategies:

Network: Ethereum Mainnet

Symbol: SHU

Type: erc20-balance-of

Contract address: 0xe485E2f1bab389C08721B291f6b59780feC83Fd7

Decimals: 18

Voting strategy: erc20-votes-with-override

Proposal validation: Basic

Proposal Guidelines: TBD in this discussion

Voting delay: 0 days 0 hours

Voting period: 3 days 0 hours

Quorum: 30,000,000

Type: Any

Privacy: Shutter

Validation: Basic (only token holders)

Delegation:Compound governor

Transaction:

The following is the proposed Transaction Info. This is to be tested (and possibly revised) during this discussion period.

Json:

{
  "$schema": "http://json-schema.org/draft-07/schema#",
  "$ref": "#/definitions/Space",
  "definitions": {
    "Space": {
      "name": "Shutter DAO 0x36",
      "about": "This is a Snapshot space for [Shutter DAO 0x36](https://blog.shutter.network/shutter-dao-0x36-deployed/). Shutter is an anti-frontrunning/malicious MEV protocol using threshold encryption. There's also an on-chain voting mechanism for [Shutter DAO 0x36](https://app.fractalframework.xyz/daos/0x36bD3044ab68f600f6d3e081056F34f2a58432c4). This Snapshot space should be focused on off-chain actions and temp checks.",
      "website": "https://shutter.network/",
      "twitter": "project_shutter",
      "github": "shutter-network",
      "network": "1", // Ethereum Mainnet
      "symbol": "SHU",
      "strategies": [
        {
          "name": "erc20-votes-with-override",
          "network": "1",
          "params": {
            "address": "0xe485E2f1bab389C08721B291f6b59780feC83Fd7",
            "symbol": "SHU",
            "decimals": 18
          }
        }
      ],
      "admins": [
        // List of admin addresses
      ],
      "validation": {
        "name": "basic"
      },
      "voting": {
        "delay": 0,
        "period": 3,
        "type": "Token weighted voting", // Assumed value
        "quorum": 30000000,
        "privacy": "shutter"
      },
      "delegationPortal": {
        "delegationType": "compound-governor",
        "delegationContract": "/* Contract address if applicable */",
        "delegationApi": "/* API URL if applicable */"
      }
    }
  }
}

Vote

• Vote “YES” to set up a Snapshot space for Shutter DAO 0x36 using ShutterDAO0x36.eth
  • OR
  • Vote “NO” to not set up a Snapshot space
10 Likes

Good proposal, I do support this idea.

4 Likes

I support this idea as well, Snapshot is definitely what Shutter DAO 0x36 needs!

3 Likes

Vote for Yes. We support this setup

3 Likes

What do you think of using a slightly smaller ENS like: 0x36dao.eth

1 Like

support and Yessssssssssssss!!!

1 Like

hey you all, how about we officially adopt the following and add the snapshot?

1. A clear definition of the scope of the DAO and its motivation
  2. a general proposal template for achieving the scope.
  3. proposal lifecycle starting with temp check and an SIP on fractional.
3 Likes

Snapchat is right for ShutterDao, do it : )

1 Like

This seems to have broad support.

Since we’re still ironing out the process with Fractal, we might need to create this Snapshot space manually using the parameters above, instead of with an executable Fractal proposal.

Unless there’s an objection, we’ll move forward with the creation of the Snapshot space manually using the above info.

2 Likes

hey @5pence it’s super important to get our processes right, especially during the initial days. let’s not rush anything.

1 Like

Hey @Baer_DAOplomats,

I completely agree that rushing things is bad, but I’m hoping you can help clarify your objection little bit more so everyone can weigh your concerns.

Is there something specific you’re recommending we wait for, or is there something you feel should be in place before the snapshot space is established?

2 Likes

I think it is an important step for continuous DAO activity management in line with the Shutter DAO philosophy! I second this!

1 Like

The problem here is anyone can manually create a snapshot space.

Even I can make a snapshot under 0x36DAO.eth or ShutterDAO.eth and say it’s the official one. The only official process we have is through an on-chain proposal.

As I commented earlier we need to officially adopt some kind of governance structure a v0, before manually creating stuff.

And to be honest: I think the ens for snapshot space is too long. But don’t want to front-run you.

1 Like

Name wise shutterdao.eth looks more legit than 0x36dao.eth (as an outsider I would be suspicious of the name).

Imo it’s fine to have a vote on Fractal a posteriori to recognize the manually created Snapshot space as official. It buys us time to formulate the governance process.

1 Like

It appears that a community member has created a snapshot space using the parameters above.

Here’s a link: Snapshot

https://snapshot.org/#/shutterdao0x36.eth

We can easily migrate this to another space in the future or change the name if there’s is a strong consensus in the community.

Perhaps the first proposal could confirm that we’ll use this space as we formalize the process, which could easily include different parameters on the space in the future.

1 Like

pls Take a look at this. let’s start working on some common framework, adding the snapshot space will solve it.

1 Like

I like the idea of a general framework as described by @Baer_DAOplomats , and the community should work this out as soon as possible.

Besides that, the community needs to agree on an “official” snapshot space anyway. Since spaces are bound to ENS domains and anyone can configure an ENS and send it to the DAO (since proposal #0 has been executed), the community needs to consent to which one is considered the “official” space (as pointed out can be migrated later anyways). I see it as similar to finding consent for which DAO deployment to use (anyone could have created another instance of a Shutter DAO). With one difference, now we have a common on-chain tool to find consent (Fractal). We could leverage this tool to agree on what snapshot to use, even though there is no real on-chain transaction required necessarily.

I sympathize with @jaybuidl comment about having a fractal vote to find consent on which snapshot space to use in @Baer_DAOplomats proposed framework discussion.

I have a suggestion on how to manifest what the agreed snapshot space for a fractal DAO could be. Fractal allows to set metadata for any DAO in a designated contract. A community member could create a proposal to set the snapshot metadata for Shutter DAO 0x36 with a given snapshot space URL. This will result in an on chain vote setting the proposed URL for Shutter DAO 0x36.

Setting a snapshot URL for a DAO as metadata on-chain comes with some benefits. You can see snapshot votes in the Fractal UI under proposals and you can even vote on them in the UI directly.

If the community considers the suggestion a suitable way to determine the “official” snapshot space for Shutter DAO 0x36, I can provide more details on how to create a proposal (Which can be easily done via the fractal UI)

2 Likes

Maybe @tjos1234 can extend a bit on the benefits of configuring a snapshot URL for a DAO

1 Like

I don’t think an on-chain vote is needed. As @5pence says, the snapshot space can legitimize itself by a vote with high enough participation (as long as the strategies are correctly configured of course, ie only SHU token holders are allowed to vote). I think that would be preferable because participation will likely be much higher (because voting is free), which would make the outcome more legitimate.

1 Like

I agree with you @jannik and as I said it’s technically not needed since the community needs to find consent anyway (i.e. the on-chain vote could result in a different space compared to the actual usage of the space). However, it brings benefits to the fractal UI and would show an on-chain signal (whether that’s needed or not). The benefits in fractal would already justify an on-chain vote for me.

2 Likes